Wednesday, July 29, 2009

WebOS Development

Quite a while ago (around 8 years) I was doing some development for PalmOS devices. With the new Palm Pre soon to be released in Australia and the Mojo SDK now freely available to everyone I decided to have a look at WebOS development. There is no need to have a Palm Pre device to begin development, I only had to download and install the SDK, Java and the VirtualBox to run the emulator. There is also a possibility of using Eclipse with the WebOS plugin but since I'm just starting and not doing anything complex, I'm happy to use Notepad++ as the IDE.

Installing the Palm® Mojo™ SDK on Windows

The Hello World page gives an understanding of the steps required to create, compile and install a WebOS application. The "SDLC" is simple and takes a few seconds - generate the application, add some functionality, package, install on the emulator, have a look, improve/fix functionality, package, install on the emulator, have a look ...

Hello, World!

There are also sample applications available and in the first few hours that I spent I learned a few things about how the applications function - scenes, assistants etc. - and also a few basic things about how the databases are used.

Samples

by . Also posted on my website

No comments: